A Senior Compliance Manager is responsible to (1) oversee professional-level technical and administrative support staff to achieve established objectives and deadlines; (2) provide senior-level management and final (QA/QC) review on projects/proposals; and (3) identify and develop business opportunities with existing clients related to environmental compliance, construction management, and health & safety compliance activities. Work is performed with direction and guidance from the principal; under the general supervision of the Office Manager.
Understand, participate, and be fully engaged in August Mack’s safety program, training, and policies.
- Provide and manage a sufficient amount of work to achieve an annual net invoice goal.
- Oversee and assign projects to professional-level technical and administrative support staff to achieve established objectives and deadlines. Activities include: perform compliance audits at industrial & commercial facilities; prepare Tier II and Form R reports; develop Spill Prevention Control & Countermeasure (SPCC) plans, storm water plans, and pollution prevention contingency (PPC) plans; prepare air permit applications, wastewater discharge permits, hazardous waste reports, health and safety programs, and risk management plans; conduct stack testing, IH sampling, and noise monitoring; and design and install various environmental systems (e.g., ventilation, stormwater, industrial wastewater).
- Manage a portfolio of core clients; maintain ongoing relationships; identify additional work opportunities; prepare proposals, budgets, and scopes of work; and turn proposals into projects with the support of principals and program/business development.
- Manage project administration including financial, budget, staff, subcontractors, invoices, and files.
- Maintain project momentum throughout. Ensure project quality and timely invoicing.
- Coach and mentor project team member resources in the technical and administrative activities required to successfully complete projects.
- Provide final review on all assigned project submittals and correspondence.
- Provide technical support on eCAP accounts. Prepare/manage the completion of compliance reports, updating of plans, sampling activities, etc.
- Update eCAP Account Manager on status of related projects.
- Act as a liaison between the client and federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
- Interpret existing regulations and guidance; coordinate with team member resources in developing strategies to ensure client compliance.
- Prepare proposals, budgets, and scopes of work for projects.
- Provide technical experience to support sales and marketing efforts.
- Prepare project descriptions of successfully completed projects for marketing purposes.
- Update August Mack resume twice a year for marketing purposes.
- Communicate with principal on project status, personnel/expertise needs, project opportunities, and regulatory issues.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Requires 8+ years of professional experience in the environmental compliance industry or a related field including two years of management, consulting, and business development experience; and a bachelor’s degree in environmental/civil/chemical engineering, environmental science, or a related field. Knowledge of environmental permit regulations and strong computer and verbal/written communication skills are a must. Current Professional Engineer (PE) licensure is a plus. Health & Safety experience, and knowledge of state regulations is a plus. OSHA Hazwoper 40 Hour Certification and/or General Industry 10 or 30 Hour Certifications are a plus. Other combinations of education and experience that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
This classification requires the use of a personal or company vehicle on company business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license, and have an acceptable driving record.
This classification requires travel to various client locations. Travel typically involves day trips within the state or neighboring states, resulting in longer work days; and may include extended and/or further travel, resulting in multiple days and overnights. Long distance drives and air travel may be required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Environmental and Health & Safety regulations.
- The principals, practices, & techniques of engineering and chemistry as they relate to environmental projects.
- Regulatory compliance and guidance.
- Hazards inherent to environmental work and related safety measures.
- Performing mathematical calculations.
- Understanding and applying environmental regulations and guidance.
- Organizing and administering multiple projects with various clients.
- Making sales presentations.
- Recognizing potential project opportunities on sales calls and prospect meetings.
- Creatively scoping and bidding projects.
- Negotiating fees and change orders.
- Perform a broad range of senior level, project management responsibilities.
- Understand complex technical environmental data and regulatory requirements.
- Analyze the impact that regulatory requirements may indicate or have on the public health, the environment, environmental facility design and operations, and regulatory compliance.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Obtain bids and manage subcontractors.
- Establish project budgets and complete projects under budget.
- Maintain strong working relationship with clients.
- Close sales opportunities.