The Data Specialist is responsible for providing data management and validation services support. Work is performed in collaboration with project teams and the Data Management Group under the general supervision of the Senior Analyst.
- Assist in managing and performing investigative data support.
- Standardize data presentations for projects.
- Generate Electronic Data Deliverables (EDD).
- Conduct and manage others in data verification and validation.
- Assist with statistical analyses to support projects.
- Be a technical resource for laboratory analysis and chemistry (training & consulting).
- Assist in preparation of Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs).
- Assist in the development of templates and reporting standards aimed at improving efficiency and standardization.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Requires environmental or laboratory experience and a bachelor’s degree in chemistry or a related field. Strong computer and Excel skills a plus. Other combinations of education and experience that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- U.S. EPA Contract Laboratory Protocol
- Organic and inorganic analytical methodologies including but not limited to U.S. EPA SW-846 protocol
- Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
- Laboratory and project quality control/quality assurance
- The principles, practices, & techniques of analytical chemistry as they relate to environmental projects.
- Regulatory compliance, guidance, and related requirements.
- Hazards inherent to environmental work and related safety measures.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- QAPP preparation.
- Statistical evaluation.
- Data validation utilizing USEPA Contract Laboratory Program, National Functional Guidelines for organic and inorganic methods.
- Performing mathematical calculations.
- Spreadsheet software and computer use.
- Logic programming.
- SQL/Access database use.
- Making technical presentations.
- Understand complex technical environmental data and regulatory requirements.
- Work independently to accomplish tasks within established timelines.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Understand project budgets and complete projects under budget.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with managers.