August Mack Environmental is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Data Specialist is responsible for providing data management and data analysis services in support of environmental consulting projects. Work is performed in collaboration with project teams and the Data Management Group under the general supervision of the Senior Analyst.
WHAT YOU WILL DO IN YOUR ROLE:
- Create graphical and tabular visualizations of environmental data using Excel and other third-party software, to include data tables, static or dynamic charts, graphs, videos, etc.
- Work with project teams and laboratories to ensure that tests of sampled materials are scheduled appropriately and data is of acceptable quality.
- Format and prepare raw data, typically in comma-separated values format, for input into third-party analysis software.
- Utilize software to perform hypothesis testing using statistical methods.
- Analyze data and write reports regarding outcomes.
- Train to be a technical resource who consults on laboratory protocols and data management techniques.
- Assist in preparation of project plans regarding data quality standards.
- Assist in the development of templates and reporting standards aimed at improving efficiency and standardization.
- Work independently to accomplish tasks within established timelines.
- Be responsible for understanding assigned budgets for tasks and communicating changes.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Maintain strong working relationship with managers.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU WILL BRING:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer or information sciences, mathematics, chemistry, physical or natural sciences, or earth or environmental sciences. Other combinations of education and experience that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- Expertise in spreadsheet use and general skills with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Academic or other experience in one or more of the following information science disciplines/software applications: SQL/SQL Server, R, MATLAB, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Power BI, Python, ProUCL.
WHAT WILL PUT YOU AHEAD:
General knowledge of:
- Principals, practices, & techniques of analytical chemistry
- Statistics as a means for hypothesis testing.
- Executing and interpreting mathematical calculations.
- Fundamentals of logic-based programming.
- Ability to review and distill technical information from regulatory guidance documents.
Specific knowledge/skill in:
- Organic and inorganic analytical methodologies including but not limited to U.S. EPA SW-846 protocol
- Federal and state-specific standards for environmental cleanup actions
- Laboratory and project quality control/quality assurance measures
- Data validation utilizing USEPA National Functional Guidelines for organic and inorganic methods.
- Relational databases and data models.