Industrial Hygiene Manager (Asbestos, IAQ, Lead, Mold)
Lewis Center, OH / Lancaster, PA / Conshohocken, PA
Responsible for project management and various aspects of fieldwork related to the Building Sciences service area, which includes services related to asbestos, lead, mold, radon, indoor air quality (IAQ), and industrial hygiene. Work is performed with direction from senior-level personnel; under the general supervision of the service area Principal.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Conduct asbestos-related work activities: inspection and bulk sample collection, abatement oversight, air monitoring, and air clearance sampling
- Conduct lead-based paint-related work activities: inspections/risk assessments and sampling, abatement oversight, dust wipe/air clearance sampling, and report writing
- Conduct IAQ and mold-related work activities: initial inspection and investigations, environmental sampling, remediation oversight, and pre/post-remediation air clearance sampling
- Conduct industrial hygiene investigations and monitoring events to evaluate potential exposure to containments or hazards: sample calibration, setup of air monitoring equipment, and observation and documentation of employee work practices and procedures
- Train/mentor field personnel in all field tasks to complete project scopes of work
- Manage project budgeting and estimating, scheduling, project administration and setup, field activities, data interpretation, client interaction, and project momentum
- Identify changes to the scope of work communicate to Project Manager and client, and execute change orders if necessary
- Perform regulatory and technical research as needed to support a project
- Evaluate, select, schedule, and manage subcontractors
- Communicate with clients on projects, from beginning to end
- Prepare a Health and Safety Plan (HASP) or Job Hazard Analysis (JHA), review and enforce plans, and site safety with all persons at the work site
- Document all field activities being performed
- Prepare and write final project reports for senior review
- Prepare job descriptions of completed projects and update August Mack resume
- Research and report as a subject matter expert (SME) supporting litigation matters
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of asbestos, mold, radon, lead, indoor air quality, and hygiene
- Recognize hazards inherent to the environmental work and safety measures
- Learn job-related material primarily through verbal instruction, training, reading, researching, and observation in an on-the-job setting
- Document and organize while working on multiple projects
Education: A.S. or B.S. in geology, engineering, chemistry, environmental science, or related field OR GED with significant relevant experience in the industry
Recommended Experience: 3+ years of experience in Building Sciences related consulting
Certifications: Asbestos Building Inspector; Lead Inspector/Risk Assessor; Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, & Restoration Certification (IICRC) Mold Remediation or Water Restoration Certifications; or Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) 40 hours Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) Certification (40 hours) or General Industry 10 or 30 Hour Certifications are a plus
Skills: Strong computer and verbal/written communication skills are a must
Additional requirements: Must be physically capable of operating vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license, have an acceptable driving record, and receive a medical clearance from a baseline physical.
This classification requires travel to various client locations. Travel typically involves day trips within the state or neighboring states, resulting in longer workdays; and may include extended and/or further travel, resulting in multiple days and overnights. Long-distance drives and air travel may be required.
*Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
40% office (controlled environment), 60% client/site travel (environmental job hazards)
August Mack Environmental is an Equal Opportunity Employer.