Entry Level Scientist (Compliance)
Lancaster, PA / Columbus, OH / Indianapolis, IN
August Mack Environmental is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Technical learning position for Compliance Services working closely with Compliance Managers to learn all aspects of the service area, which includes field inspections, technical reporting, plan preparation, and quality of the work product. This requires learning the regulations associated with USEPA, OSHA, and state environmental and health & safety regulatory agencies. Requirements could include air permitting, wastewater permitting, storm water permitting, storm water pollution prevention plans, spill prevention plans, auditing, preparation of Tier II and Form R reports, preparation of compliance monitoring reports, air emission inventories, health & safety plans, among other regulatory programs. The Specialists report to the Compliance Managers on a project basis with support from the Senior Technical Managers, as requested.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Learn existing regulations and develop strategies to ensure client compliance
- Complete assigned projects under the guidance of a Compliance Manager to achieve established objectives and deadlines
- Ensure project kickoff meetings are completed and maintain project momentum
- Communicate with Compliance Manager and Compliance Consultant on project status and regulatory issues of related projects
- Prepare compliance reports, update plans, conduct sampling activities, etc.
- Prepare Tier II and Form R reports, various regulatory applications, and storm water and oil spill plans
- Communicate with client as requested by Compliance Consultant
- Assist Compliance Consultant in developing relationships with new clients and maintaining core and transitional clients.
- Participate on all Project Team activities.
- Achieve a billable goal
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Learn job-related material primarily through verbal instruction, training, reading, researching and observation in an on-the-job setting
- Perform technical research on projects
- Collect, record, and evaluate scientific data
- Utilize administrative staff effectively
- Document and organize while working on multiple projects
Education: B.S. in environmental science or related field
Recommended Experience: 0 – 2 years of experience in environmental consulting
Skills: Strong verbal/written communication
Additional requirements: Valid driver’s license, acceptable driving record, and physically capable of operating the vehicles safely
This classification requires travel to various client locations. Travel typically involves day trips within the state or neighboring states, resulting in longer workdays; and may include extended and/or further travel, resulting in multiple days and overnights. Long distance drives and air travel may be required.
*Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
50 – 75% office (controlled environment), 25 – 50% field/site visit travel (environmental job hazards)